2257 County Camp Road
Appling, Georgia 30802
Phone: (706) 541-1143
Fax: (706) 541-3945
To provide quality construction and maintenance of all County paved and dirt roads.
The Roads and Bridges Department vision is to sustain and build a quality of life for all people in Columbia County, through a road system that supports the economy, safeguards the environment, and strengthens communities. We want our road system to provide safe access and mobility for residents, workers and visitors, and to provide for the efficient movement of goods. Our road system will be maintained and preserved to support these uses, and we will protect the investment made by Columbia County Citizens in the county’s transportation system.
- Perform right-of-way, road, and pavement maintenance.
- Provide for maintenance of dirt roads, storm drainage, and roadway signage.
- Continue paving of County-maintained dirt roads.
- Repair potholes, sink areas, and other road failures on paved roads.
- Ditch maintenance to include cleaning and reshaping of ditches, to maintain adequate drainage. Also includes installing drainage pipe (not driveway pipe) and
breaking up beaver dams at roadway culverts.
- Respond to flooding due to excessive amounts of rain.
- Winter maintenance activity related to snow and ice.
- Emergency or extraordinary repairs and clean-up of roadway, roadsides, and structures due to storms, floods, and other disasters.
- Blade and reshape road shoulders to eliminate edge ruts, ridges, etc.
- Maintain guardrails on bridges throughout the County.
- Install, replace, and repair all directional and street signs on County-maintained roads.