Street Light Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Office Location and Mailing Address

630 Ronald Reagan Drive
Building A
Evans, GA  30809

P.O. Box 498
Evans, GA  30809

Street Light Policy

street light

To obtain a street light petition, please contact our office at (706) 868-4223.

For repair or maintenance on existing street lights contact Georgia Power at
1-888-891-0938, or if you prefer, enter your service request on the street light outage map:

Petitions to establish a street light district within the County are accepted for presentation to the Development and Engineering Services Committee from the first week in October to the first week in May. The cost will be levied as a special tax against the property within the district and shown on the property tax bill. The rate is to be determined by the Board of Commissioners annually. This rate is subject to increase as the cost of servicing increases.

If the proposed street light district represents less than 50% homeowner-owned lots, then the developer will be responsible to petition the County for lights and will pay, at the time the petition is submitted, the current tax rate for each lot within the district. This does not eliminate the first year's tax for these lots. If the district is represented 50% or greater homeowner-owned lots, there is no one-time fee prior to installation. In either case, the petition must represent a minimum of 75% of all lots within the proposed district.The petition must be submitted to the Engineering Services Division for processing no later than three (3) months from the date of issuance. 
If not, a new petition must be generated with a current date. Once the petition has been submitted and processed, no signatures can be added or removed from the petition.

A public hearing to install street lights is held by the Development and Engineering Services Committee. The notice is advertised in the County's legal organ, The News Times, prior to the public hearing and sent to all property owners affected within the proposed street light district. A letter, along with a copy of the plat showing the proposed district, is forwarded to the Georgia Power Company to determine the number of lights to be installed and their location for adequate lighting. After approval by the Committee, the petition is forwarded to the full Board of Commissioners for final approval. When approved, a resolution to establish a street light district is passed by the Board and signed by the Chairman. Georgia Power Company is then notified that the proposed street light district has been approved and is authorized to proceed with the installation of lights.

The purpose of street lights is to light the street safely for vehicular traffic and to provide some level of security to the property owner. Street lights are not intended as security lighting, although homes which border closely to the street sometimes benefit from the illumination of that side of the house fronting on the street. If the homeowner requires additional security lighting, it would be necessary to install those privately or contract through Georgia Power Company. However, if the additional lighting is contracted through Georgia Power, then it cannot be included in the street light tax district.

This policy hereby becomes a part of the petition for street lights.

Approved and adopted by the Columbia County Board of Commissioners this 15th day of June, 1993


Frequently Asked Questions



Q.  Who can I call to report a street light that is not working or is damaged? 
A.  Contact Georgia Power at 1-888-891-0938 or call Columbia County Customer Service at 3-1-1.

Q.  Why does it take so long to get a street light repaired?
A.  Burnt out bulbs can be repaired relatively quickly however, if a cable has been cut or damaged, repairs may take longer.

Q.  Can I get a new street light installed in my neighborhood?
A.  A petition process must be followed and upon approval by the Board of Commissioners, street lights may be approved for installation.  To start this process, please call Traffic Engineering at 706-868-4223.

Q.  Who is responsible for the repair and maintenance of street lights on private property?
A.  The owner of the property is responsible for maintenance and repairs.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer