Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


1. My child is charged with a crime. Who files the juvenile complaint? 
2.  What will happen with the case filed against my child?
3.  Are classes open to the public for youth who are not involved with the court?
4.  Who is the Citizen Panel?
5.  I am a victim in a case involving a juvenile offender. What should I do? 
6.  My child is currently involved in the juvenile system and was arrested with a new offense? Why is he detained in the county jail and not a juvenile detention facility? 
7. I am 16 years of age (or younger) and received a traffic citation. What will my fine be and can I pay the fine before court?








Juvenile Court is the primary agency for the judicial functions relating to persons under the age of seventeen years. The Court is required to receive and dispose of complaints in a manner that is in the best interest of the child and the community. Complaints are received from the Columbia County Sheriff's Office, the Grovetown Department of Public Safety, the Harlem Police Department, the Board of Education, or other community members who report an incident to law enforcement.





Charges may be disposed of by dismissal, informal probation, formal probation, or placing the youth in the custody of  the Georgia Department of Juvenile Justice.





Juvenile court offers many programs to juvenile offenders to afford them the opportunity of treatment and rehabilitation. The majority of these programs are primarily grant funded and therefore can only be offered to youth offenders who are currently involved with the court system. Please see Programs for more details.




The Citizen Panel is a group of volunteers who meet at least once a month to review cases of deprivation or child abuse filed with the Division of Family and Children Services where the child has been removed from the home and placed in foster care or with another family member.




If you have filed a report with law enforcement and the offender is a person under the age of 17, you may contact the intake officer to ask questions regarding the case process, to complete the victim's impact statement, and to be notified of an upcoming court date. The court will need you to provide any information pertaining to any restitution you may seek. See Victim Rights Phamplet for more information.




Regardless of whether a youth is on juvenile probation at the time of a crime, if the person is 17 years of age or older, he or she is considered an adult by Georgia State Law and if taken into custody would be detained in an adult facility.




Juvenile traffic offenders are required to appear in court with a parent. The judge will hear the facts of the case as well as testimony from the parent(s)/guardian and make a determination of fines and/or any other sanctions for each individual case. See Juvenile Traffic Court for more information.