All requests for special events such as parades, road races or block parties (which temporarily close roads or impede traffic) on county roads or state routes must be permitted through the Community Events department. In addition to county approval, closures on state routes require Georgia DOT approval.
DOT has implemented a policy regarding state route closures for special events. The new criteria requires that a letter from the Mayor/Commission Chairman or City/County Administrator, depending on where the event is taking place, must be received by Georgia Department of Transportation at least 15 days prior to the planned event, but not more than 30 days prior to the event. The letter must include:
- The type of event
- The date and time of the event
- How long the event will last (if more than 10 minutes, a detour will need to be provided.
- Who will provide traffic control for the event
- What type of traffic control will be provided (a traffic control plan must be provided....police, signs, barricades, detours, etc.)
- A map must be attached showing the location of the event, including proposed detour route if event will last more than 10 minutes.
- A DOT Indemnification and Hold Harmless Agreement must be signed and attached.
For additional information, please click here.