Personal Property - Business

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Operating a Business in Columbia County

Welcome to Columbia County and Thank You for Your Business!

When operating a business in Columbia County there are three departments that require completion of various forms in a timely manner: the Department of Building and Commercial Services, the Tax Assessors' office and the Tax Commissioner's Office.  To help better serve you the following is a brief checklist of what to expect from each area and what will be required from you:

    1. Licensing and Permits:  An Occupation Tax Application form (commonly referred to as a business license) must be submitted and requires the payment of an occupation tax.  The application will be reviewed by multiple departments and typical takes a week to approve.  For additional information please call 706-868-3420 or visit their website Licensing and Permits Department.

    2. In January, following the purchase of a business license (A business located within the boundaries of Columbia County, the City of Harlem or the City of Grovetown), you will receive a Personal Property Return form from the Tax Assessors' Office, which must be filed on or before April 1.  Please indicate on the Return any changes in status of your business such as change of ownership, location, mailing address or closing.  For help in completing this form and deadline constraints contact the Tax Assessors' Office at (706) 312-7474 or by email.                                              

    3. An assessment notice will be mailed to you from the Tax Assessors' Office.  If you desire to appeal this value you have 45 days to do so in writing.  For assistance in this process, please contact them at (706) 312-7474 or check their website

A Business Personal Property Return should be completed and submitted by April 1 each year.


    4. If applicable, the Columbia County Tax Commissioner's Office will mail you a Personal Property Tax bill in August for payment due by November 15th.  Further information may be obtained on the Tax Commissioner website or by telephone at (706) 261-TAXX(8299).


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer