With new residents moving into Columbia County every day, I wanted to send this reminder out for everyone to register with us to receive emergency notifications. We have the landline numbers, but with many so people only using cell phones these days, we don’t have those numbers unless you register. See all of the details below – and just click on the link provided to register.
Columbia County Emergency Notification System
The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office, Emergency Management Agency, Engineering Division, GIS Department and Water Utility have come together to provide a proactive, cost efficient public notification system. Certain situations warrant notification of people based solely on their physical location. Some examples of these situations would be missing persons, suspects at large, chemical incidents, water outages, severe weather situations, road closures and other important information. In these instances, First Call Emergency Notification System provides us with immediate, map-driven communication that seamlessly combines all phone and GIS data to rapidly deliver incident-related information or instruction to target audiences. This system also has full TTY/TTD capabilities, ensuring messages are delivered to the hearing impaired.
Currently, the Emergency Notification System includes both public and private landline telephone data. However, based on recent communication trends, we have identified gaps in successful notifications. Individuals that rely solely on mobile phones or VoIP phones (voice over IP or internet phones) will not receive these notifications. As a result, First Call has provided an alert notification site, which allows individuals to register their mobile phone, SMS text phone and email addresses to receive these notifications based on validated county addresses. If you would like to register your mobile phone, VoIP phone, SMS text phone and email address, please follow the instructions below.
Instructions to Register for Alert Notifications
· Browse to web address https://alertregistration.com/columbiacoga/
· Fill in the fields for your contact information. NOTE: (Mobile phones, SMS text phone or VoIP phones are the only numbers that need to be registered through the portal. All land lines are already included in our notification system)
· You have the option to receive severe weather alerts by selecting the available check box
· Read and select the checkbox stating that you agree with the disclaimer
· Click ‘Continue To Next Page’ to complete your registration
· Once registered, you will receive an email confirmation from firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: (an email address is not mandatory to register with this system)
· If you have any questions or need assistance, please call (706) 868-3303 during normal business hours